A message from John E. DeWulf from Social Venture Partners AZ about their success this school year.
While school is out for summer, I wanted to take the time to brief you on the SVPAZ Education Affinity Group’s amazing work this school year. Highlights include:
- Partners worked closely with Phoenix Union High School District (PUHSD) administrators providing executive coaching, mentoring, and leadership.
- Spearheaded tours of local major businesses including Alliance Bank and CopperPoint Mutual for PUSHD aspiring principals.
- Important efforts in helping Dr. Chad Gestson getting appointed as Superintendent of PUHSD
- Educated Partners and opinion leaders on the PUHSD Bond initiative that ultimately passed.
- Toured Phoenix Coding Academy and Linda Abril Educational Academy as potential Investees
- Hosted speakers from Elevate Phoenix and the Arizona Teacher of the Year
- Discussed and analyzed SVPAZ’s role in public policy and advocacy in public education
- Initiated a mini grant program that saw 30 high schools apply for grants of $500 dollars for innovative projects. Ultimately awarded $5,000 to 10 high school projects.
Our committed and dedicated Partners have devoted their time, talent, and dollars to strengthening Arizona schools, particularly those in the Phoenix Union High School District.
In the next year, we are looking to not only continue but expand our programming with a potential move to the Linda Abril Education Academy. With a strong interest in advocacy and public policy, we will bring in experts to help guide us on having a wider influence and a pulse on higher-level impact. Finally, as we look to move the needle in education in the heart of the Valley, we want to recruit additional Partners to this work.
With that in mind, please let us know if you want to join us for the 2016-17 school year. We will send out a formal invitation with calendar in August but wanted to gauge initial interest and answer any questions over the summer. If you have an interest or questions, please reach out to Sentari at firstname.lastname@example.org.